FWD 4 – DBFC 3

Po Kong Village Road Park Football Pitch 1 — 7:00 pm KO

Squad: Travis, David (Captain), Christian, Jordon, Jonny, Will, Jamie H, Rob Scott, Andreas, Matt, Robbie, Baz, Scott H

DBFC’s unbeaten record in 2015 came to an end in controversial circumstances at Po Kong Village.

Beforehand, we struggled for players in the build up to the match. The match started slowly but kicked into life when Robbie was hauled down clean through inside the area. Penalty but the referee bottles the clearest of red card decisions (what would prove to be a recurring theme). Matt stepped up and planted the penalty down the middle. 1 – 0.  FWD threatened as the Centre backs were caught out with a straight forward long ball but DBFC were saved as Travis made an excellent save. The referee blew for offside as Matt broke free from his own half and the resulting free kick was lumped into the box for FWD to score 1-1. Another long ball minutes later was knocked down and tapped home be FWD 2-1. Robbie was taken out wide on the right as FWD keeper was caught in no man’s land with no foul forth coming for another late lunge his effort hit the post. FWD caught Jordan in possession and after winning another second ball popped the ball home. 3-1. Half time.

Team talk focused on a number of tactical errors but the main problem was unusually a lack of confidence, composure and organisation at the back. DBFC sought to rectify it.

DBFC started better as Matt almost went through and we won a succession of corners. Another long ball by FWD bounced and released their forward but Jamie made a good recovering tackle that was blown for a foul. Robbie then released Matt through on goal but he was poleaxed on the edge of the box and the referee finally sent one of their players off. Robbie put the resulting free-kick against the underside of the bar and Matt taped home. 3-2. Robbie cut in from the left and released Scotty through on goal only for him to drag his effort wide. However, FWD undid DBFC again off a second ball from a free-kick 4-2. 12 minutes to go. As DBFC struggled to get the ball down but battled hard, Matt was released inside the box and chopped down again! No card when a red could have sufficed (or a second yellow). He slotted the penalty home. 4-3. Match ended.

Man of the match – not a good DBFC performance, but fought well in the second half but were undone by a lack of composure and the referee. Will and Jamie worked hard in the middle but tired understandably. Matt takes it for a hat-trick.