DBFC 3 – 1 Young Guns

Venue: Kowloon Tsai Park pitch 2   KO time: 15:00 5th December 2015

Squad: Alessio (keeper), Ben, David (Captain), Phil, Morse, Leo, Pascal, Warren, Jonny, Yoon, Matt O and Gaz

Scorers: Jonny, Yoon and Leo

The winter weather, Xmas parties, work commitments and December in general took its toll on player availability and it was a struggle for manager Gaz to pull a side together. It is, however, testament to how strong our squad has become, that we can afford to lose the likes of wee Tommy Halder and Bert Bacon to work and coma respectively on the morning of the game, and still turnout such a strong starting 11 —– although the bare 11 players with Gaz having to get suited up —- just in case.

Things weren’t going well to begin with. At 1445 we had 6 of our 11 listed players at the pitch. Leo and Alessio stuck in traffic and Matt O, Ben and Yoon lost in Lok Fu. By Kick-off we had 8 players – the referee allowed us to delay kick off by ten minutes – which allowed our young trio to finally find the pitch. Fortunately our opposition was in a similar situation and at ten past the game kicked off, with Young Guns fielding 10 players.

From the kick off, DBFC tried to make their numerical advantage count and put pressure on the Young Guns defence. Good running from Leo and Jonny down the wings constantly cut open the YG back line. Opportunities were coming and going for DBFC, with Yoon, Warren, Morse, Matt O and Leo all coming close. As the half wore on, Jonny got on the end of a great pass from Leo and rounded the YG keeper to slot the ball into the back of the net. A good goal from Mr Haines to put DBFC 1 – 0 up and reward the constant pressure we had shown. This goal came just before the Young Gun’s 11th player arrived.

DBFC continued to dominate the remainder of the half, but YGs were defending deep and making it difficult to find a way through. As DBFC pressed YGs were always a threat with the counter attack and on one of these YG counters Phil had to switch on his jet engines to catch and deal with the YG winger who broke free down the right. Excellent defending from our new CB in only his second start for DBFC.

Half time 1-0. The half time team talk pointed out that this game was in DBFC pocket and were easing through it. We missed 6 or 7 great chances in the first half so consequently at 1 – 0 YG were still there and we needed to be switched on and focused no matter how easy. Concentrate on accuracy of passing and moving in to spaces to receive the ball. Always be aware at the breakdown for the Young Guns on the counter. The final call was to get a second goal then relax a little to enjoy the football and the cold wet miserable weather.

The second half started well, with DBFC on the front foot. After some good passing, Matt O put a ball over the top which Yoon latched on to lob the keeper to put us 2-0 up.

DBFC were now comfortable and had complete control of the game. As DBFC attacked Young Guns won a dubious free-kick just outside their goal box, which they took quickly and punted long up field towards their two lone forwards. David had been winning all the headers at CB and this looked a certainty for him to clear as the back four stood square as they watched David rise. However, on this occasion the small YG player ran into the DBFC centre back when he was in flight, knocking him off the ball. The referee saw the foul but looked and gestured to the line ref who was on the blind side of the incident and line ref pointed to his shoulder so no foul was given.  The ball went through without a touch to fall nicely in the path of the Young Guns striker to score.  The goal gave Young Guns fresh impetus and for a few minutes DBFC were under pressure. However, after good work from Matt O and Warren in the centre, Leo was put through, coming in off the left wing on to goal, to calmly slot the ball into the bottom right corner of the YG goal. DBFC now 3 – 1 up.

The third goal completely destroyed Young Guns appetite for the game, and the closing stages of the match resembled more of a friendly than competitive league match. That being said, David Rollinson was still able to collect the ball, burst out of defence and unleash a powerful effort that just clipped the corner flag. So close, yet so far.

A good three points for DBFC, on a cold rainy day and most made it back to the Pier Bar for a few beers.

MOM: A few contenders. Pascal was excellent in the midfield. After a one month rest (in which time Mr Haines procured napkins and cutlery for his upcoming wedding) Jonny was fresh as daisy, being tenacious down the right wing and skinning YG defenders with ease. The award however goes to Leo, who was a constant threat and scored a magnificent goal at a crucial time in the game.

DOD: Phil is one of many candidates for spooning a clearance straight into someone’s tent (the ball went right through the front door). Matt O, just for being Matt O. Tom Halder for turning up at the pier bar after the game dressed as a snowman is also in with a shout. Bert Bacon also comes into contention for waking up after the game had finished – the text saying ‘I don’t think I’ll make football’ seemed somewhat redundant. However, the outright winner this week is Ben Roberts for the following:

  • Getting lost in Lok Fu and turning up 10 minutes late.
  • For getting Matt O and Yoon lost in Lok Fu
  • For turning a 5 minute walk from Lok Fu MTR into a 45 min walk from Lok Fu MTR.
  • After getting hit by the ball in the meat and two veg he wriggled around on the ground screaming ‘Karen is going to be devastated’. I think he meant Kazim…
  • For showing us all a Facebook message in the Pier Bar that he had sent to Karen/Kazim, telling her he was in hospital with a “clock” injury.  Casanova indeed.


Reported by David R