DBFC 6 – 1 USRC Power

Kings Park 10 April 2015 9:00 pm Kick-off

Scorers: – Matt Z x 2, Oli x 2 and Rob Scott x 2

Despite the Easter holiday period and a number of our main players away we still managed a healthy response for availability for this crunch game against USRC. The squad of 15 was announced early, before Gazza went on holiday, and introduced a couple of new players to this season (long time DB lads, known to most of us, that were visiting back from uni) Ben Taylor and Matt Hoare. Two top draw players for the centre of our midfield for this must win game. That left a number of guys on stand-by and this was needed as late drop outs by Syd (business in Macau) and Jonny (an ankle boo-boo) meant that Sam came in to make a very strong 14 man squad. Everyone arrived at the pitch in good time despite Gary failing to sort out the taxis, and taking 25 minutes to travel from the Greens to N. Plaza (a 7 minute walk).

– Robbie gave his team talk / plan / strategy and announced the starting side 15 minutes before kick-off. Lining up in a 4-4-1-1; the tactics were brief and simple. Matt was to man mark their Spanish midfielder (Panera) who operates from the base of their midfield. We were to get tight to their striker Bruno and send him on to his right foot. Communicate, work hard for each other and look to capitalise on quick and long throws from Steve down the left. Finally, for USRC corners Christian was to position ahead of the front post on the six yard box. Game on.

Alessio; Christian (Sam 50); Jamie W; David; Steve; Jordon (Tom 45); Matt H; Ben; Rob Scott; Matt Z; Oli (Captain); Robbie (unused sub).

DBFC raced out of the blocks and stunned USRC. A quick long throw into the box was flicked on by Oli and the ensuing scramble resulted in the ball finding its way back to him to lash home from 2 yards for a 1-0 lead after 2 minutes (a perfect start). There was no let-up in DBFC intensity and pace with Ben and Matt H winning the midfield battle, Rob Scott rampaging down the left and Steve and Oli linking up well from throw-ins and in open play. The pressure on USRC told with a combination of passes coming to Matt in the box to lash home for a 2-0 lead after 7 minutes. This early DBFC pressure resulted in a few corners, the second of which saw Jamie climb well only to see his header tipped onto the crossbar by the USRC keeper. As our real-time match reporter Jonny Haines was struggling to keep up typing his blog updates, DBFC went close again with an excellent deep cross by Rob Scott onto Jordon’s boots at the USRC back post but his first touch just got away from him and out for a corner. The corner whipped in was flicked on and reached Ben, beyond the back post, who volleyed narrowly over from a tight angle. Finally, it was 3 – 0 up. Good hold up play by Oli found Matt who flicked inside to Rob Scott on the edge of the box and his ferocious pea dribbler of a shot squirted under the USRC keeper and into his goal. Good battling by Matt H in midfield saw him ping the ball wide to Rob Scott, who beat his man and crossed superbly pin point onto a free Matt Z’s head only for him to plant it wide from 5 yards out. A DBFC free-kick 25 yards from the USRC goal saw some training ground trickery by Rob Scott and Matt Z as they performed a ritual dance routine of ‘run at the ball-stop-go back-run at the ball again-stop-refuse to run at it again’ before Matt Z  struck a great effort that hit the top of the crossbar. Jordon, cutting in well from the right, struck a decent effort just over the bar. Another dangerous corner saw Jamie climb well again but this time his header drifted a foot wide. Ben then crossed well from the centre right finding Scotty free 7 yards out only for him to plant his header against the post. Then, in the last minute of the half, USRC broke on the counter, after winning the ball in midfield, and their midfielder released the ball early to their striker Bruno, who cut inside and rifled a shot from 20 yards at Alessio who did well to get down and save it. Unfortunately, the DBFC defence was caught on their heels as the USRC midfielder made it to the rebound first and had enough time to round Alessio and tap in a goal to make it 3-1 at half time.

Half time: The message was incredibly positive. More of the same but find the woodwork less and the back of the net more.

USRC were obviously buoyed by their goal before the break and started the second half strongly, passing the ball around extremely well. This USRC pressure soon resulted in a couple of successive corners that were fired in at our near post and required strong blocks and a goal line clearance from David to deny USRC their second goal at this critical time. It was at this point that Robbie realised that Christian had not understood the near post six yard box instruction (he was back post man marking) so some very loud direction from the side-line fixed the problem and this nullified the USRC corner threat. DBFC were now sitting too deep, allowing USRC to exploit the gap between our midfield and forwards, and were also not keeping the ball well. So Tom Halder came on for Jordon, with instructions to take on the USRC left back. USRC continued with their period of pressure resulting in Alessio making a save from the feet of the USRC striker, which squired out towards the DBFC goal and required David to once again clear the ball off our goal-line. Tom received the ball on the right and jinked inside two USRC players before curling a good effort goal bound from 20 yards only to see an alert USRC keeper shuffle across and catch it cleanly. The continual shouting from DBFC managers from the side-line for the defence to push up wasn’t getting through until Rob Scott conveyed the message directly to David’s ear (Robbie accepted that David was probably mesmerised by Tom’s fast feet and thoughts of his own brilliant goal-line clearances) and immediately after we slowly turned off the USRC pressure and started exerting our own. Robbie also noticed that Oli was no longer doing his first half work of getting across to both sides of the pitch to find space and hold up the ball and to close down the USRC centre backs when in possession. Direction from the side-line caused an Oli mini-tantrum that immediately sparked him into life as he began charging around like a bull and when Ben won the ball in midfield Oli pounced and split the USRC defence with a great through pass that released Rob Scott on goal. Rob’s shot was well saved by the USRC keeper onto his crossbar but Matt came storming through to tap it in and put DBFC 4-1 ahead. Sam came on for Christian at right back with around 20 minutes to go. This fourth goal brought back the DBFC swagger and it didn’t take long to become 5 – 1, as a through ball found Matt Z  in USRC’ s 18 yard box only for him to scuff a left footed volley across goal for to fall perfectly for Oli to slap home, thank you very much he was heard to say in a gentlemanly manor (mini-tantrum long forgotten). Tom’s dribbling and cutting inside was causing the USRC full backs all sorts of problems and he cut inside again, jinking past three USRC players, to release a lovely weighted through ball for Robert Scott to run onto and lift over the keeper. 6-1 up and DBFC continually poured forward pressing the USRC goal. One occasion down the left saw Jordon cross finding Oli 4 yards out from the centre of the USRC goal only for him to inexplicitly screw the ball onto the post. In the last few minutes Ben almost found his way through a couple of times. In the end it was comfortable and emphatic. 6-1 final score.

Man of the match – a fantastic team performance and everyone performed excellently. In the first half Steve was particularly good down the left causing all sorts of problems with his throw-ins, his strong challenges winning the ball high up the field and his link up play. Olli’s hold up play in the first half was fantastic and he got two good goals to cap it off. Rob Scott ran his full back ragged putting in loads of great crosses, and getting two goals and two assists. Tom Halder did very well in the second half when he came on. Matt Zoeller also got two goals and two assists, and worked hard marking the USRC midfielder. However, man of the match this week is a joint award to Ben and Matt H who worked tirelessly in midfield breaking up the USRC play, providing real grit when needed and calm accurate passing that kept our tempo high allowing the front players to be so devastating. In addition, a thank you to Tony Healy, Pascal, Ben’s GF, Matt H’s dad and Jonny for coming down to support.

Dick of the day: – several options this week starts with Gaz. The 25 minutes it took him to get from the Greens to N Plaza was puzzling, the fact that it made him 15 minutes late made it worse and he topped it off by saying he didn’t have any cabs for us!

David Rollinson has a mention for being the worst player at the ‘celebrities’ drinking game that commenced at 1:30 am in the plaza after the game. Pascal mentioned that Jamie Webb was regularly knocking over pints of beer after the game that was thought to be in delight over the big win. While Robin did a midnight fly-by appearance to congratulate the team with hugs, cuddles and a few kisses, then proceeding to empty the pier bar of tequila for team shots before leaving us and scampering onto the ferry. Christian for being MIA at the front post is a very good shout. Oli Rendall for a mini-tantrum, his attempt to justify why he’d stopped running after half time (he wasn’t getting the ball), the truth of why he’d stopped running (three cigarettes at half time) and his open goal miss make him a very strong candidate. However, given the difficulty in selection management decided this week’s DOTD winner will be voted on after the DBFC v Rula Bula this Saturday.