DBFC 8 – J-Leaguers 0

24 January 2015

Squad: Alessio, David, Christian, Jordon (Morse 45) Sam, Stu, Pascal (Jamie H 45), Scott (JP 50), Robbie (Tom 35), Matt, Oli (Captain) (Jordon back-in 55)

Venue: Po Kong Village Park Football Pitch 1——— KO 7:00 pm

All DBFC players (except Tom) arrived at the Pitch a good 30 minutes before KO. The football match that was finishing, on the pitch we were to use, was FWD v RBFC and FWD won 2 – 0 to pick up three points and stay top of the league, so we knew there was no letting up for us to keep the pressure on them.

The wind was blowing and swirling noticeably as DBFC set up to start a decent pre-match warm up. However, the warm-up routine was cut short by a premature referee’s whistle to kick-off the match a couple minutes early and although Robbie was not happy he was confident the players were ready. Team directions were given and focus among the players could have been cut with a knife (according to Gaz).

It didn’t take long for DBFC to get in to their stride and take control of this match. They soon threatened the J-leaguers’ goal as Robbie cut inside from the right to release Matt “galloping” through the J-L defence to slot home the opener. It was 1 – 0 after 5 minutes. The pre-match talk had identified the J-L midfield play and their play maker (Nakamura) as a danger so when J-L got possession the DBFC midfield tucked in tight to limit the space for them to play through, so they went long into the “brick-wall” of the DBFC CBs, David and Christian.

DBFC’s passing and movement was quick and accurate and some great play down the left resulted in Stu being bundled over for a free-kick, which Jordan pumped into the box for Oli to leap like a tin of salmon and glance in a header (haircut and Brylcreem assisted) into the J-L net for a 2 – 0 lead after 10 minutes. More good work down the left saw Scotty put in a deep cross that Sam (gallivanting up from his right-back position) controlled and slotted home for a 3-0 lead after 15 minutes. The DBFC finely tuned machine was purring and a quick short corner between Jordan and Scotty saw another excellent cross for Oli to rise (beans in his boots) and glance in a header (Brylcreem working overtime) for a  4-0 lead after 20 minutes.

Continued dominance from Pascal and Stu in midfield saw them work the ball from a tight situation to release Matt down the left channel. Matt turned and played a deep cross to the edge of the area where Robbie (free as a bird — he means in space) selflessly set up Stu to expertly bend his shot into the roof of the net. It was now 5-0 and DBFC could do nothing wrong. So they thought until quickly reminded otherwise when the J-L capitalised on some sloppy play on our left flank, which they crossed into our box for the ball to break to their main man (Nakamura) who released a great strike (volley) towards the DBFC goal that required a fantastic save from Alessio to keep out by tipping it over the bar. The J-L were in disarray but continued to try their passing game and as they passed backwards Matt, Oli and Robbie closed them down quickly to force an error and release Oli to calmly slot home a goal for a first half hat-trick.

The J-L were shell-shocked as the half time whistle blew with a 6-0 score-line. Dirk and Gazza were in heaven during this first half display, supping on their cans of beers while reminiscing on the times when they were in the team and now just happy their borrowed DBFC shirts (nos. 4 and 5) to the new-signings were getting a run out. A shrug of the shoulders and a chink of their beer cans were in recognition that these two legends would not get a sniff of an appearance in this rejuvenated youthful DBFC Legal League sideJ.

The half time talk was limited to praise for the performance. It was a great half by all players. Scotty provided good industry down the left, Oli and Matt showed great hold-up play, the defence were solid and the midfield worked hard and controlled play. The aim of the second half was to carry on dancing (playing the great football). New signing Tom Halder made his debut, coming on at RM for Robbie in the only change to start the second half.

The second half started scrappily, retaining possession by either side was limited with end to end play resulting in a number of corners for both sides. DBFC slowly worked back their magic. Play down the right saw Tom cut inside to release a shot that the J-L keeper fumbled into the path of Pascal‘s great anticipatory run from deep but he smashed the bouncing rebound over the bar. This was Pascal’s last contribution as Jamie H came on to replace him in the centre of midfield, alongside Stu. Morse also came on at LB for Jordan and a few minutes later our other debutant, JP (DB born and bred), replaced Scotty.

Immediately, some good interplay down the left released Jordan who put in a cross that Matt connected with to shoot narrowly wide. Matt was again released straight through the middle, taking the ball right up to the keeper before (inexplicably) passing to Jordan (must have thought it was his birthday) only for Jordon to stumble and see the ball cleared off the line. Nevertheless, DBFC were not to be denied and continued to press. A corner from the right to the far post of J-L goal saw JP rise (like a real salmon) to head powerfully into the net to give DBFC a 7 – 0 lead. Tom continued to threaten the J-L defence and again cut in from the right to shoot from 20 yards but his effort hit the cross bar and over the goal. A long ball from DBFC over the top the J-L defence saw Robbie turn and outpace the defender to slot his shot passed the J-L keeper and into the net from off the left post for 8-0. Immediately after the restart, and to the relief of J-Leaguers, the referee blew full time.

Man of the Match – plenty of options; Stu and Pascal did a lot of good work in the middle of the pitch and the defence was solid throughout. However, for a second week in a row, MOM goes to Captain “Haddock” Oli for his first half hat trick and his reliable and effective hold up play.

Dick of the day – plenty of contenders; Robbie for some outrageous Mourinho comments during post match drinks at Pier Bar, Stu for turning up looking like the homeless lady that hangs around Pier 3 and a Matt/Jordan combo for their ridiculous 2 on 1 goal miss in the second half. However, the management choice goes to MOM Oli for letting his 1st half hat-trick go to his head (nicely trimmed beard and combed locks of golden hair with a touch of Brylcreem) such that he took a half- time fag (in the footsteps of his life time hero Stefan Fuchs) in front of the managers, got a booking for dissent  minutes from half-time when we were 6-0 up and revealing, in the taxi after the game that he didn’t think Robbie had played the first half.

So let’s get pumped and ready for Tropicana this Saturday 31 January – we will need a big performance to get the result that keeps the pressure on the leaders and puts us ahead of Tropicana. So take care of your fitness this week —- no injuries and no excuses.