DBFC 4 – 0 USRC Power

Venue: Kings Park Pitch 3 —– 18 September 2015 —— 9:00 pm KO

Squad: David (Captain), Travis (Keeper), Steve, Syd, Kieran D, Matt Orr, Pascal, Matt H, Jordon, Rob Scott, Tom, Scotty H, Sahil and Robbie.

Scorers: Rob Scott x 3 and Scott Holmes.

In football there are many different clichés that are used and “a game of two halves” is the one that best sums up Friday night’s trip to Kings Park.  Our opponents (USRC) were as usual strong and gave us a good run for our money. Having said that, the Discovery Bay squad was the strongest we have had all season, all 3 games of it!  The likes of Rob Scott, Jordan Brown, Steve McGurgan and Robbie Bacon all making themselves available and all, bar Robbie, going straight into the starting eleven.

So, with Mr Bacon being there, he took the reins and set out the squad; Travis in goal, Syd at right back, the new centre back partnership of Rollinson Jnr and Kieran D, Steve McGurgan at left back, Jordan Brown at left-mid, Matt O at right-mid, Matt H and Pascal centre-mid, leaving Rob Scott  and Tom H up top.  The bench was solid; it needed to be with myself, Sahil and Robbie Bacon raring to get on!

So with a few choice words Robbie gave his usual detailed pre-match team talk of get the ball down and pass, work hard and keep it simple… With that the boys entered the field to do battle. After a slow start, we followed instructions to get the ball down and played some good passing football with the occasional long ball that was proving successful, so much so that we got a little carried away with the longer passing game and the short game went out of the window. One of the successful longer balls found Tom who couldn’t quite manage to control the ball for his shot to find the back of the net and this, unfortunately, was to be the story of Tom’s night! Shortly after the first miss another chance came Tom’s way when a wayward back pass from a USRC defender put him free to shoot on the USRC goal from a tight angle but only managing to put it wide of the far post. We probably should have scored from a nicely taken corner from the right by Rob Scott, which Rollinson Jnr failed to make contact with his head from 6 yards. We remained solid at the back and despite a comedy 1-2 that Travis played off the backside of the USRC forward and a couple of pieces of kamikaze defending, USRC did not really cause us too many problems.  Kieran D had got in the ear of their star striker (Bruno) to make him mainly non-existent for the majority of the first half, apart from one glimmer of his skill that put Kieran on his backside and got him through on DBFC goal only to fire a wild shot over the bar. Kieran had last laugh as Bruno disappeared from the field at half-time.

At half-time a few changes were made, Robbie coming on for Tom and myself slotting in at right mid-field for Matt O. Within minutes we were on the attack and with some neat footwork from Mr Bacon (would not have looked out of place on strictly come dancing) the USRC defender’s tackle chopped him down unceremoniously for a stone wall penalty.  Up stepped the man with two names – Rob Scott – to calmly dispatch the penalty into the top right hand corner of the goal! The goal gave DBFC an air of belief and from there we pushed through the gears like Lewis Hamilton in his Mercedes to punish a USRC team that had now started to argue amongst themselves. Jordon Brown went off injured, so Sahil came on for him. Shortly after this substitution the second goal came.  More good work from Mr Bacon saw him get to the by-line and pull a pass back pass to find Rob Scott who nicely slotted away the ball in to the USRC net. Matt O came back on for Pascal at centre midfield with 20 minutes of play left. Mr Scott wasn’t finished scoring; he completed his hat-trick shortly after when the ball broke free at the edge the box, he dropped his shoulder to round a USRC defender and then clinically slotted home from 8 yards. With only 10 minutes of the game left, Matt H went down with an ankle injury trying to get on the end of a through ball across the face of the USRC goal. He was carried off the field and Pascal returned in to centre-mid.  I moved from right midfield to left midfield as Syd wanted to play on the same wing as his pal Sahil… Can’t say that I have known that to be a reason for a tactical change before but I won’t complain as the fourth and final goal came from me! With only a few minutes of the match left to play, some neat football down the right wing, which Sahil was a part of, put the at the feet of Rob Scott and with more “twinkle toes” football he cut the ball back to yours truly who had darted into the box from the left wing to slot home!

Man of the match is a clear and obvious Rob Scott for his clinical finishing producing a hat-trick.

Dick of the day goes to Rollinson Jnr for not knowing what “get over” meant; an instruction Kieran had been telling him for the duration of the game!

Post – Match up date —- Matt H went to hospital the next day to check his ankle and fortunately it is not serious —- a sprained ankle. Still he got a set of crutches to take out on Saturday night to look the hero part for the girls. It was Matt’s last game before back to University in UK on Thursday. Hopefully he is back at Christmas to fit in a game (12 December or 9 January). We haven’t heard anything about Tom’s recovery from “jelly legs”.


Report by Scott Holmes.