DBFC 1-1 Forward FC
Saturday 28th October 2017 with 17:30 kick-off at Po Kong Village Road Park, Pitch 2.
Squad: Yanou(GK), Rodders(RB), Christian (LB), David and Robbie (CB), Pascal(DM) Steve (CM), Dan Lye(CM and Captain), Darius(RW), Sam(LW) Rolph(Striker), Jordon and Nathan (subs). Matt H came to test his injury but lasted all of 2 minutes playing. Non-playing supporters: Scott Holmes and Steve Rudall.
Scorers: Robbie Bacon (assist from corner by Steve Lang).

DBFC started this game brightly with a well organised defensive system to stifle the Forward FC attackers who were relying on long balls through and over the DBFC back line. DBFC were going forward down the wings regularly, especially down the right where Darius, linking well with Rodders, was having great dribbling runs to create some good scoring opportunities with crosses that Rolph just couldn’t get on to. It was an attack down the left though involving Christian and Sam that resulted in a corner. Steve Lang took a great corner curling to the far post that a number of DBFC players jumped for but it was the blonde head of Bert Bacon that powered in the header and put DBFC 1-0 up after 10 minutes.

DBFC continued to be organised and play some nice passing football and the defence coping with Forward’s tricky midfielder and attack. After about 15 minutes Pascal got up ended by Forward’s tall mid-fielder, who was shown a yellow card and 5 minutes after that the same player fouled Dan Lye on the edge of the Forward 18 yard box to receive a second yellow and a red card for his marching orders. Forward surrounded the referee to vehemently complain at the harshness of the second card but the referee was having none of it and the Forward player came off.

DBFC now had scope for counter-attacking as Forward pressed for an equalizer so with 15 minutes left to play Jordon came on to go as lone striker in place of Rolph. The DBFC defence had to work had to resist pressure from Forward attacks, chasing long through balls but when they recovered possession got the ball to midfield to start a counter attack. Jordon had some good runs at Forward goal just failing to do the last defender but finally a nice through ball from Pascal allowed Jordon to split the Forward defence and from the left Jordon fired just wide with only the keeper to beat. The half ended 1- 0 to DBFC.

At half time manager Gaz asked for the continued hard work and focus and to keep a tight structure to try save energy because of limited subs. Continue battling in the midfield to close down quickly and defence to always be aware of long balls over the top. New boy Nathan Sharp came on at CB to replace Robbie who had to dash to make his work event. Matt H on for Sam to man mark forward’s no. 9 dictating the midfield. Matt H lasted 2 minutes after realizing his ankle injury had not recovered. So Rolph came back on to partner Jordon up front and DBFC formation resorted to 4-4-2.

Although Forward only had 10 men they seemed to get the upper hand from start of 2nd half. Their midfield and defence kept firing balls over the DBFC defence to run on to and Yanou had to remain alert and acted as a sweeper as he needed to be quick from his goal-line. After about 15 minutes into the second half the referee blew for a dubious free-kick to Forwards a couple of yards outside the DBFC box after Nathan missed a header and the ball bounced up from the ground to hit his hand. The Forward player’s free-kick was straight at the DBFC wall but Dan had turned to protect his wedding tackle and the ball went through to gap. Yanou did well to see it and dive to get his hands there for the ball to spin out and into the net.

DBFC remained mostly under pressure for the remainder of the second half with Steve coming off tired and replaced by Sam returning to the field. DBFC did press up a number of times but it was Forward that looked more likely to score as the DBFC players were tiring. The DBFC defence held firm to see out the game at a draw.

The last 2 minutes of the game saw David challenge the quick Forward FC midfielder who objected strongly objected and swung an elbow that caught David in the face and he went down in style rolling a good 5 yards and yelping like a harpooned Walrus. The referee gave a red card to the Forward attacker and then, at the restart, immediately blew his whistle to end the game.

MOM: In this game of 2 halves this honour is shared. Darius for some classic wing play in the 1st half and Yanou for a very busy 2nd half to keep us in the game.

DOD: Shouts for the DBFC Firm at the sideline (Scott and Steve) reducing the Forward bench to tears with their choice banter. Also Jordon with a little shout for missing his one on one chance in the first half. However, the honour goes to Dan Lye for 3 reasons: getting lost in Diamond hill before the game, making a hole in the DBFC wall for the Forward player to shoot through and score and for his news that he’s dropping DBFC to move back to UK in a few weeks’ time.