DBFC 4 – 0 Rude Bar FC

Venue: Kowloon Bay Park Football Stadium

Squad: Alessio, Phil, Kieran D, David, Ben, Pascal, Steve, Sam, Robbie, Warren, Matt O, Leo, Morse and Kieran McK.

Scorers: Steve x 2 and Matt O x 2

As feared the 1:00 pm kick-off was always going to give DBFC problems. One Friday morning we had the bare 11 but by Friday afternoon we had 13 and on Saturday morning 14. There were some great efforts from guys to be available by manipulating their work, family, injury and other arrangements. Gazza was well impressed and appreciative of the true team spirit.

DBFC arrived in decent time at the stadium and after a brief but reasonable warm-up, Robbie advised he was staring the game with a 3421 line-up and explained the requirements of this formation as he did last week. Alessio keeper, Kieran D as CB with Phil to his right and David to his left. Pascal and Steve as HM with Sam as right WB and Ben as Left WB. Matt O as CF with Warren and Robbie sitting behind him as AM. Leaving a very strong bench of Leo, Morse and Kieran McK.

Rude Bar kicked off and immediately ran at DBFC, the first five minutes were scrappy as DBFC struggled to look after the ball and Rude Bar’s nippy forward received plenty of the ball in the channels. The first real chance of the game came to DBFC when the midfield managed to switch the play to release Ben, overlapping well down the right, to the edge of the Rude Bar box with time and clear sight of goal, only to lean back and shoot over the cross- bar. Still DBFC struggled to find consistent fluidity in their play and gave away a succession of needless free-kicks down DBFC’s left. This afforded Rude Bar the chance to get men into the box for high balls in, which DBFC mostly coped with. The only scare coming after Kieran D was caught under the flight of one ball to miss his header attempt and David waited for the ball to drop before air-kicking his attempt clearance that fortunately Ben was alert to and cleared the ball safely.

DBFC persevered with trying the passing football on a very slow pitch that the ball tended to stick to under the players feet and eventually took control of the game. DBFC struggled on the ball and consequently struggled to find a break through. Ben was twice again released overlapping down the right only to be called back for incorrect off-side(at least 3-yards on)  by the female assistant referee that was not at all very good. Leo came on at left WB after 20 minutes for a sickly feeling for Sam (blaming the still humid conditions) and found plenty of space cutting in and passing to Steve who turned in and fired over the RBFC cross- bar. Soon after, Robbie was released down the DBFC left flank to the edge of the RBFC box but his effort at a cross was spooned into the Rude Bar’s keeper’s arms. However, pressure from DBFC finally broke the deadlock when Steve was released down the right and cut in to rifle home at the Rude Bar near post from 12 yards out to give DBFC a 1-0 lead. Shortly after the restart Matt O played a lovely ball in over the top for Robbie but the sticky surface of the pitch saved Rude Bar when he over ran the ball, tried to adjust and ended up treading on it as he avoided the Rude Bar defender’s slide tackle. All to see the ball roll slowly out for a goal kick. Robbie ended up rolling his ankle during that pantomime and suffered the rest of the game. However, not long after DBFC scored again; Steve got an almost identical goal to the first when he jinked in from the right by-line and popped it in at the Rude Bar near post to give DBFC a 2-0 half time lead.

Half-time – Despite a disjointed performance, DBFC emphasised the positives. Looking to fix a few issues with the formation by pressing higher and getting the full backs involved more. Also looking to exploit the ball over the top (if the lines-woman would let us). Kieran McK came on for Robbie.

The second half started scrappily and a good bit of play by Rude Bar resulted in their first chance but the Rude Bar shot wide with advancing Alessio having closed down and his angles covered. Warren came off, with 35 minutes left, for Morse to take up the left back position as DBFC moved to a 4411 formation. There was no immediate impact from this change of formation and not much was being created by DBFC. Steve did get in behind the Rude Bar defence, down their left, only to be flagged for offside (impressive decision by the assistant referee when Steve made his run from holding midfield). Then a Rude Bar player (not long on the pitch as a substitute) flew in two-footed studs up on Phil and was rightly given a straight red. Fortunately Phil had seen the tackle coming and stepped out to get slightly caught and continued the rest of the game. Kieran D was booked for remonstrating in the aftermath of the poor tackle. Ben tweaked his groin and Sam came back on at RM. With the man advantage Phil bombed on from right back and found himself 8 yards out with the goal at his mercy only to scuff the ball wide of the far post – ‘distracted by his nosebleed was the general consensus’. With 20 minutes to go Robbie came back on for Steve. As Rude Bar tired there was plenty of space and David after two heavy touches got away from his man and released a good ball into Robbie who drew the Rude Bar full-back and released Matt O to take the ball with one touch and finished emphatically, putting DBFC 3-0 up. Kieran D got his head to a DBFC corner kick to float the ball narrowly over the Rude Bar cross-bar —“that would have been my first goal since 1986 he shouted out in disappointment”. Leo got through to the edge of the Rude Bar 18 yard box with some neat passing down the right to be clear on goal but his shot was too close to the Rude Bar keeper for a comfortable save. A DBFC free kick, put towards the Rude Bar back post for Kieran D’s head,  was missed as he was hindered by the Rude Bar defender stamping on his ankles, followed by the RB player swinging out his arm as Kieran D protested. The two players squared up to each other with chicken chests and handbags. This soon petered out and the players and the referee were leaving the incident without any concern when the linesman was seen furiously waving his flag and advised the referee to issue yellow cards to both players. It was the second yellow for both players and so they were giving their marching orders. Robbie released Leo at the edge of the Rude Bar box to put him once again through on goal but his effort was saved. Matt O then broke away again down the DBFC left flank to run on at goal and finish with aplomb. And give DBFC a 4-0 victory.

Man of the Match – a scruffy but effective performance from DBFC. Matt O had two great finishes and the rest of the side did well in spurts. Steve for his two goals and relentless energy takes the cake.

Dick of the Day – a calm rather uneventful day on this front. Robbie for having the audacity to decide to take home and wash his shorts and socks, David’s air swipe, and Matt O’s futuristic tracksuit bottoms were candidates. However, for DBFC’s first red card of the season, even if it was a tad harsh, the honour this week goes to Kieran D.


Reported Robbie / Gazza