DBFC 45s 2-0 KCC 45s

Thursday 29 June 2023 at King’s Park, K.O. 9 p.m.

Squad: Mark / Kieran C, Neil OL, Nik, Steve / Neil M, Will, OB, Yin, Morse / Greg. Initial Subs: Patric, Anago and Derrick

Scorers: Nik, Greg

Following a heavy defeat against KCC earlier in the month, we were under a pressure to get a result in our return game against KCC to keep our title hopes alive. With Captain Mcknight and Ricky withdrawing at a late stage, we were completely reliant on Greg as our only recognized striker but we had strength and depth in all other areas. Fortunately we had a recognised GK Mark for this fixture and we were encouraged by the absence of KCC’s striker who had scored 4 against us in the previous game. We had little choice but to adopt a 4-5-1 formation with a very strong CB paring of Nik and Neil OL and a new look CM of Will, OB and Yin. Steve shifted from his normal CB to LB and Morse and Neil M moved to wide midfield positions. Kieran C in his customary RB role. It was a high intensity start by both terms with no clear chances created but we were moving the ball as well as we have all season. Yin and Will in particular helped us to get forward but it was difficult to get possession in their final third. Perhaps inevitably our break came from a corner after 20 minutes with a well flighted cross to the far post being met by Nik who rose above their defence to head back across goal into the corner. KCC responded well but some confident defending was backed up by Mark who tidied up the bits and pieces without having to extend himself. After 30 minutes we went further ahead after Greg’s tireless running gave him a shot from the edge of the area which gave their well built GK no chance. Greg could have put the game beyond reach just before HT when he went one on one with the GK but decided to try and go around the GK instead. We re-grouped at HT, with Greg having to come off injured to be replaced by the versatile Patric who was heartened by the re-appearance of his lost 22 shirt. Anago and Derrick also came on for Kieran and Steve at full back. In the second half KCC pushed hard for the first 20 minutes and we found it hard to get out of our half. They created a couple of decent chances but failed to capitalize and then seemed to tire. At the other end we could not create much with half chances failing to Yin and Morse, and Patric being a bit unlucky with some close offside calls. We saw out the final part of the game without much drama and in the final analysis it was a great team performance.