DBFC 45s 4-5 HK Rep Team Vets

Monday 10 October at Wong Chuk Hang KO 6.30pm.

Starting X1: Hymsey/ Adam, Simon, Steve, Dirik/ Fela, Morse, Mac, Ricky/ Sam, Kieran

Subs: Mark (GK), Resco, Patric, Kieran C, Matija

This was our 8th outing (Won 1, Drew 1, Lost 5) against a team whose players have all represented HK at some Level, managed by Mr. Koon. Due to the various COVID breaks, we had not played them for 18 months. We did well to get 13 kitted and ready for an early KO and Hymsey kindly volunteered to keep goal due to Mark’s scheduled late arrival. The game had a familiar pattern to previous, with the opposition relatively passive for the first 25 minutes or so before starting to go up through the gears. We went 3-0 up with goals in quick succession: first up, Kieran at the far post with a header after a throw to Sam at the RW corner flag was crossed by him. Then Sam, looking every bit the 4th division footballer with his trendy fazed haircut, scored twice: first Kieran through ball to Sam who dispatched past the outcoming GK and then a tap in after Adam’s good work at RW. At this point we had 4 subs on: Hymsey (who was replaced by Mark in goal after 10 minutes), Resco, Patric and Kieran C. The ex-pros started their come back with a succession of breaks that took advantage of their number 9’s pace at LW, very difficult to defend against with no linesman looking for offside. Matija, a 2nd half arrival who missed the team talk about the “friendly” nature of the game, was to show us how to deal with him, with a shoulder charge that propelled the poor lad into Row Z. At 3-2, it looked as if we were in a spot of bother and another set of 5 substitutions at HT made things a bit scrappy. However Sam notched his hattrick after another assist from Kieran driving forward from LW and putting Sam in for a shot under GK’s body. At 4-2 up we thought we were in the driving seat. The opposition were creating numerous chances but Mark was putting in a shot-stopping masterclass and keeping them out. But it was not to be and the opposition got back to 4-4 and with the game in Fergie-time they snatched a winner. Well, at least we should be invited back! And just after the final whistle “John Terry” Pedro arrived kitted up for the team photo, determined to keep up his impressive record of attendance.