10 January 2015




David (Robbie 62)


Jonny (Rafa 35)

Pascal (Will 40)



Matt (Oli 60)

Oli (Captain) (Scotty 50)

All but two of the squad travelled together from DB in taxis to the Po Kong Village Road Park Football Pitches. So the camaraderie was high and the plan to get there early for a good solid warm up to work-off the Christmas turkey, for this must win top of the table clash, materialised.

The game started evenly with both teams trying to take the upper hand. Jordan was lively down the left, beating the FWD full back for pace and putting in a low shot to the near post that the FWD keeper saved. Almost immediately after, DBFC were caught by FWD with a basic long ball straight over our flat back four that resulted in Gianluca colliding with their forward outside the area. The DBFC keeper was given a yellow card but FWD put the resulting free kick over the bar. A long ball from Stu released Oli, who battled well to get in a good cross for Jordan to tap in at the far post! 1 – 0. From this point DBFC began to exert more control on the game, especially down the left which saw Jordon causing FWD problems and hitting a shot narrowly over the FWD goal. Stu unleashed a few dangerous long throws from both sides of the pitch that resulted in good chances for DBFC to score but were narrowly cleared (the tactics in attacking these set pieces was a point made by the manager). DBFC were well in control but the comfort led to them being caught napping as Christian misjudged a long ball, allowing the FWD right winger to break at speed down the right to fire in a low cross for the FWD striker, who was being tacked well by Jamie, to get his foot in first to fortunately spoon his shot over the DBFC bar from 4 yards out. Syd, who was making his first appearance since the beginning of the season, broke well at full pace down the right before decking the poor, frail and ageing linesman. Syd helped the official to his feet making out he was apologising but those close were sure he was muttering “Get the decision right next time”. Meanwhile Jonny ‘4 touches’ was noted to be looking on approvingly with a wry smile. The match continued with both sides having half chances that were shot wide of the goal. The referee called half time at 1 – 0 to DBFC.

The half time talk focused on 3 points: making the most of set-pieces by anticipating the second phase balls, exerting more control when in possession, being more aware of FWD’s long ball over the top of our defence. One substitution to start the second half saw Jonny “ran his socks off” Haines being replaced by Rafa. The plan was to bring on the remaining 3 subs at about 5 minute intervals.

The 2nd half started well for DBFC and after a few minutes, Matt found the ball at his feet in the box to lash a shot home in the bottom corner to put us 2 – 0 up!!! Not long after Rafa beat his man for pace down the left and put in a great cross that fell again for Matt to shuffle in his feet and lash another shot home in the same bottom corner, yabadabado we were 3 – 0 up!!!! In attempt to get back into the game FWD began to force their attacking play and the DBFC back four dealt well with FWD’s more direct play.  However, FWDs change in play gave Stu more space and he began dictating the game in midfield with Pascal’s important none stop energy in breaking up FWD possession.  Will came on after 5 minutes of the second half to replace Pascal and to maintain the high energy levels in midfield, which he did extremely well. The game progressed and when a free kick was awarded to DBFC on their left, 22 yards out from the FWD goal, Stu stepped up to whip in a dangerous curving cross to the far post that Oli could only glance with his head wide of the post (his new haircut and brylcreem was to blame?). FWD pushed forward but they lost possession for Jordan to counter attack from in the DBFC half through the FWD midfield only to be tackled by their centre back. However, the ball broke from this tackle to find its way to Rafa who was 25 yards out from the FWD goal and he coolly  picked his spot to curl a great shot over the FWD keeper, 4 – 0 and Gazza was dancing and singing down the touch line!!!!!. Scotty Holmes came on for Oli with 20 minutes remaining and put in a great shift in closing down when the FWD defence had possession. DBFC were now a constant threat on the FWD goal. Matt jinked his way through the FWD defence before a strong tackle cleaned both him and the ball out of the field. Oli came back on to replace the cramped up Matt with 10 minutes of play remaining. At this point Robbie was warming up and cleaning his swimming goggles ready to make his comeback appearance after long time injury. Also, at this point David was heard crying out “Dad, help, I’ve got cramp” and so off comes David and on comes Robbie with 8 minutes to go. The team arrangement was reshuffled by putting Christian at CB, Jordan LB and Robbie (with his Seedorf glasses) at LM. After DBFC defended a corner, the ball broke in midfield for Stu, who was up-ended by a FWD tackle. He played a quick free kick out to the left flank for Robbie to drive down the line cutting the ball inside to Oli for a 1-2 around the FWD FB before slotting a low shot past the FWD keeper. It was 5 – 0 and the Bacon was back. Gazza was full of emulsion at this point. DBFC immediately took control again at the restart and Scotty was put through down the right side of the box but his touch past the advancing keeper resulted in him getting two feet into his groin area but no penalty was given. Scotty was seen protesting and showing his stud marked left testicle to the referee but even that didn’t change the referee’s decision. Tidy work from Stu and Syd down the right created space for Will who picked out Robbie’s angled run. Robbie took the ball at pace and coolly slotted his low shot into the bottom corner of the FWD for a 6 – 0 lead. Rafa had a great chance to make more as Scotty crossed well from the left channel but his shot was well saved. The full time whistle was blown with an emphatic 6 – 0 win for DBFC!

Man of the match –

Everyone played incredibly well but particular mentions go to; Syd, who was solid at RB in covering well, winning numerous headers and calmly starting attacks, all the goal scorers, Captain Oli, who held the ball up well and had the best haircut. However, MOM goes to Stu for dictating the play in the middle of the park. A big thank you and a special mention goes to Sam Riley for coming down to support the team (and bringing a box of beers).

Dick of the day: – Jonny is a candidate for committing more fouls than he had touches of the ball (4 touches he tells us), as is Robbie for his swimming googles (that he kept lifting up to see where he was going) and David for suggesting skins in the pre-match warm-up so that he could get his top off to flash his 12 pack. However, it is Syd that takes the biscuit for wiping out the linesman on behalf of every player in the legal league, amazing but brutal!

With spirits high the majority (those with permission from the other half) made their way over to the pier bar for well-earned victory drinks. Laughs and cheer were in order and as the numbers dwindled there was only Gazza and Pascal left at the plaza. Beer tastes better when you’re winning but Gazza is getting concerned because it could turn him into an alcoholic.

Onwards and upwards!