DBFC Vets 0 – 0 HKFC

26 November 2018 at KGV pitch with 21:00 KO

Squad: Toni (GK), Matija, Juggins, Gazza, Morse, Steve Rudall, Pat, Pascal (Captain), Brendon, Scotty and Ade

MOM: Contenders are Neil Juggins and Matija for great solid play at Centre Backs but this week the Captain’s choice is new signing Ade, who came on after 25 minutes and change the game for DBFC with his strength, skill and vision.

Pascal struggled once again to get the numbers for this game and called in a few of Wozzy’s +45ers. The general mood was down as on paper we were lining up for a good belting by previous champions HKFC and when we saw the squad they turned up with, there was a wry smile amongst the DBFC players. Pascal picked the starting eleven (easy because only eleven of us there). New signing Ade (new to HK) was having difficulty finding the pitch and arrived late. Pascal asked everyone to concentrate on defending and give it all and that’s what we did for the first 25 minutes while HKFC dominated possession and battered us. DBFC fought tooth and nail and rode their luck when HKFC missed some great chances to score. DBFC had little opportunity upfront but the DBFC forwards worked their socks off closing down to hurry the HKFC passes. With 15 minutes of the first half left, in stepped new player Ade (for Steve) into centre of midfield and he instantly took charge. He was strong in holding the ball and made some runs and passes forward that turned HKFC on their heels. Suddenly DBFC were fighting back and threatening the HKFC goal with a couple of great chances to nick a goal.

At half time break Pascal reminded everyone that we had achieved what we set out to do and that was to keep in the game by half time then kick on. Everyone was to find the energy for another 40 minutes. Pat came off to allow Steve back in at right midfield.

Second half started and the game was much more even and DBFC were a real threat on the HKFC goal. The more the game wore on the more confident that DBFC were getting. Ade was causing all sorts of problems for HKFC in the middle of the park and was holding and passing to bring in the DBFC strikers. In fact in the second half it was DBFC that probably had the best chances to score with HKFC defenders making a couple of goal line clearance and their keeper pulling off a couple of very good saves. Pat came back on for the last 15 minutes to replace an exhausted Gazza. DBFC could have snatched this game in the end but equally HKFC should have put the game out of reach in the first 25 minutes of the first half. On the balance of the overall game points shared seemed to be a fair result, although given the team sheet at the beginning of the day it is DBFC that will be smiling big time.