DBFC 1 – 0 Club Tropicana

1st December 2018 at Po Kong Village Road Park Football Pitch #2 with 17:30 kick-off

Squad: Ricky (GK), Scotty, Morse, David, Christian (Captain), Darius, Jamie, Danny H, Matt H, Jordon, Kafi, Charlie, Josh and Ade.

Scorer: Matt Hoare

MOM: every player in the squad has claim for this but my mention is to Jamie Bone for his tireless running down the left; Ade for controlling the midfield when he came on and bringing a calm purpose to DBFC football; Darius for his energy and playing an attacking defender in the second half to see his skill and pace set up DBFC goal; Matt Hoare for once again finding the winner. However, the pick has to go the our magic keeper Ricky for that fantastic penalty save that kept DBFC in the game and securing himself a clean sheet.

Things started to turn a little desperate for this game on Saturday morning when Bryn and Will had to drop out because of work. This was compounded in the afternoon when Pius didn’t show (same as last week). Calls were made and late afternoon new player Ade came to the rescue by turning up to start the second half. DBFC started slow and Tropicana were breaking through DBFC defence with pace. In the first 2 minutes Tropicana had the ball in the DBFC net with a great header from a good cross but, fortunately for DBFC, the goal was ruled to be off-side. If that wasn’t enough warning 10 minutes later the Tropicana winger broke through down the DBFC right and placed a great shot into the far top corner out of reach of Ricky but again DBFC were very fortunate to have the line referee rule it off-side. DBFC still didn’t get a grip and at 20 minutes in to the first half Christian miss timed a headed clearance and the ball shot into the DBFC box catching the defence out and Morse got on the wrong side of the Tropicana winger and ended up running into the back of him to give away a penalty. DBFC’s get out of jail card was used once again, this time by Ricky who pulled off a great spot kick save (see video). DBFC managed to finish the first half 0-0 and although pressed the Tropicana goal and having a number of good chances to score, it was Tropicana that would have felt aggrieved at not being at least one goal up. David came off after 30 minutes of the first half with a badly sprained ankle, so Morse moved to centre back and in stepped Charlie at left back.

The second half saw Ade into midfield and Darius at right back. This give a better balance to DBFC and Ade made a real difference holding the ball and making telling through passes for Kafi, Jordon and Jamie to run onto. DBFC dominated this half and looked so hungry for the goal but Tropicana defence was proving tough and their keeper (Barney) in great form. Tropicana were always dangerous on the break and DBFC rode their luck a few times with Tropicana hitting the cross bar and Ricky making a one on one save. However, ten minutes from the end of the match DBFC made the break-through when Darius burst forward (as he was doing all second half) to beat two Tropicana players and drive in a low cross from the by-line. Kafi couldn’t turn the ball in at the front post but it shot through across the Tropicana goal for Matt Hoare to turn in at the back post. That man Matt H saves DBFC bacon once again with a winning goal. Tropicana did up the ante in search of an equaliser but DBFC held strong to see out the game.

Ten of us made it back to the Pier bar for a few beers and a few tequila fines. The management team stayed on a little longer to plan the Xmas drinks after our match on 15th December. A date for your diaries boys and to make arrangements with your work, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, etc. for a pass out J