DBFC Vets 3 – 1 USRC 1911

Kings Park Pitch 3 on 26 October 2018 at 19:30 KO

Squad: Toni (GK), Steve W, Matija, Gazza, Morse, Pascal, Sean C, Kieran McK, Mike C, Angelo, Scotty, Fouad, Michel and Fela.

Scorers: Kieran and Fouad x2

MOM: Fouad

DBFC Vets got their defence of the Legend’s League title off to a winning start for the 2018 / 19 season.

Manager Pascal was short of a number of his regular (younger) stars for this game so called on the rear guard to bolster his numbers (Steve W, Gazza, Mike C and Michel giving 234 years between them) and these boys were value for the half games they contributed.

Pascal arranged the team skillful to get the best from everyone and DBFC had the better of the game in the first half and should have capitalised on a few good chances. It was 10 minutes from half time when the Break for DBFC came when a cross field ball from Fouad towards Kieran McK on the right wing looked short but the spritely winger managed to outpace the hesitant USRC left back to nick the ball in front of the USRC keeper (DB’s Stef Fuchs), round him and tap the ball in an empty net.

The second half saw USRC come out to push for an equaliser but in doing so left room in there defence for a break. A situation Fouad revels in and so it was. His first goal (DBFC 2nd) came after 5 minutes when he cut in from the left wing and rifled a low shot just inside the post. His second, to give DBFC a 3-0 lead came 15 minutes into the 2nd half when interplay with Angelo on the right side put Fouad in space on the edge of the 18 yard box to drive an exquisite shot into the far corner to give the USRC keeper no chance.

USRC didn’t give up and throw everything forward to get back in the game. DBFC keeper Toni was solid, positioning himself well to collect some hard, driven shots and managed to punch clear a couple of dangerous crosses. The DBFC defence worked hard to keep a clean sheet and always looked threatening on the break. However, with 10 minutes left USRC were awarded a penalty for some Croatian handbags when defending a USRC free kick floated into the box. It was a soft penalty that USRC give no chance for Toni to save.

DBFC reorganised to close ranks and shut up shop to see the game out with a 3-1 win.

A decent crowd of players took up USRC’s invite to join them at their club bar for food and drinks.