Kings Park pitch 3

24th March 2017; Kick-off 9:00 pm


This was the Cup Semi-Final and the atmosphere this Friday night at Kings Park was intense, with a big following of supporters for USRC. This report could have been titled “Kings Park where dreams are made and drunken assaults are averted” but more on this later.


DB had an excellent response for availability for this cup semi. Gazza took all 18 available players to be part of this BIG game and spirits were high and the banter was being thrown around in the warm up.


Gazza’s team talk was all about getting us geared up for the game. USRC are no push overs and this is all they have left to play for this season so let’s stay compact and work hard as a team. He wanted high intensity to get early goals to settle and make as many substitutions as possible. Billie was the referee and Gazza asked everyone to keep cool and just accept his decisions irrespective of how wrong. We know Billie and must respect his way of refereeing.


The team lined up as: Alessio in nets, Ben (RB), David (Captain) & Steve at CB, Morse (LB), Matt Orr (RM), Pascal & Jordan R at CM, Danny Lye (DM), JB (LM) and Rob Scott (ST). Leaving Dan K, Rodders, Simon, Scotty and Jack on the bench. Danny Loup arrived 20 minutes in and Robbie Bacon arrived 20 minutes from the end.


DBFC started well and immediately pressured USRC’s back 4 resulting in chances for DBFC’s intimidatingly skillful front 3 of JB, Rob Scott & Matty Orr to open DBFC goal scoring account. Unfortunately luck wasn’t with them and this lifted USRC to start getting into the game with their physical style that DBFC initially struggled to react to. After 10 minutes Steve was struggling with injury and after 20 minutes had to come off. There was no recognised CB replacement so Danny Lye slipped into CB alongside the “New Captain Fantastic” Rolli and Danny Loup went into CM and Jordan Roberts at defensive mid. USRC were getting the better of the game and hit the DBFC cross bar with a flash shot from outside the box. USRC had numerous corners and free kicks from outside the box but DBFC defended the Alamo with determination.


The large USRC crowd at the touchline were in very boisterous mood but a couple of lads in particular were way over the top with aggressive and abusive language (later found that they were smashed on Somersby cider!). DBFC didn’t let the USRC ultras get to them (particularly yours truly who was operating down the USRC supporters touchline and getting a full load in the ear) and focused on the football. Although DBFC weren’t playing pretty football everyone was 110% and winning battles everywhere on the pitch.

0-0 at HT after a tightly contested first half.


We spoke at half time at how we can’t lose our heads and let the boys (idiots) in the USRC crowd get to us. USRC had the better of the half and were working even harder than us so will tire and gaps will open up. Gazza requested that each player keep battling hard. Gazza reverted to 4-4-2 and Matt Orr went in at number 10 to support Rob Scott that had been a bit isolated in the first half. Danny Loup went to RM and Morse was replaced by Simon. The game was too tight to call any other changes.


Just as DBFC took to the pitch and set up for the 2nd half kick-off one of the USRC ultras decides to walk onto the pitch in a threatening manner (bottle of beer in hand to give more abuse to players in their face, JB first then Ben before being stopped by the man mountain himself David Rollinson, who “delicately” pushed him onto the floor for him to get up and want to fight every DBFC player on the pitch. David meanwhile, remained in true Captain Style, cool as a cucumber. The USRC ultra was grabbed by the rest of the USRC supports, realising that it had gone too far and was now embarrassing. The referee handled the situation brilliantly, calmly and sensibly and called the Captains and Managers and asked for the guy to be removed from the pitch. (Editor’s Note: this appalling turn of events was recovered to a large extent by the USRC Chairman, senior members, the team manager and the player himself, all apologising profusely for what went on. We do silly things when drunk and in high spirits but this situation could have turned nasty and this has been recognised by USRC and sure won’t happen again. The guy in question has promised to buy all the DBFC players a Somersby next he meets usJ).


This event got the DBFC blood boiling and the boys were now well up for the win and ready for a big second half, which started in similar fashion to first half with a few chances going to DBFC. JB had a free kick narrowly miss the target and Matt Orr missing a few good chances. Then USRC started to come into it and had a few of their own half chances. USRC had the better of the start of the second half but as Gazza had said they were starting to tire. Robbie Bacon came on for Danny Loup with 15 minutes to go. Matt Orr moved back to RM and Robbie went in at number 10 and instantly upped the tempo and DBFC belief. Ben’s long throw-ins were starting to cause problems when Bacon was doing what Matt didn’t do all game and win a header. DBFC were now looking dangerous every time they went forward and the makeshift centre half partnership of Lye and Rollo Jr stepped up a notch in dealing with the attacking threat of USRC very well. With 10 minutes remaining and the score still 0-0 Gazza and the players were starting to think about where they were going to put their penalties once the full time whistle blew. But NO! After JB was guilty of missing a great chance to go 1-0 up the resulting shot went out for a corner, which Rob Scott took and delivered a superb ball for Matty Orr to jump highest (like a salmon) and head home. Players, management and sideline supporters went mental and huddled in to look up at the distraught USRC ultras and give a few waves. Wheeeeeeey.


This was the start of a frantic end. USRC pressed for an equaliser and DBFC defended heroically but a series of rebounds like pinball in the centre of the DBFC defence resulted in the ball popping out to the USRC striker to be 1 on 1 with Alessio. A great chance to equaliser for USRC but Don’ Alessio was having none of it and reacted, off his line like lighting, to not only block the shot but to gather the ball safely. An excellent piece of keeping by our boss man, who was heard to mutter to the disappointed USRC striker “I know where you live”.


DBFC weather this little storm and with USRC pressing they were leaving gaps at the back and it was immediately after Alessio’s save that DBFC’s second goal came. Bacon, winning the ball back in midfield, released Matty Orr who went 1 on 1 with the USRC centre-back. After a few little step overs he smashed the ball into the bottom corner to make it 2-0. Good finish, again everyone going mental in celebration to get up the nose of the USRC supporters. Still USRC pressed but no way through DBFC defence and again they were vulnerable to the counter attack. The ball was played from the back through the midfield to Rob Scott who took it in stride then threw the USRC defenders with a deft back-heel into the path of Yours truly (JB) to smash first time into the bottom corner. It was now 3-0 and the boys were enjoying the celebrations as Gazza was making his best impression of Paolo Di Canio running up and down the touch line in wild celebration doing a few summersaults and cartwheels. USRC were dead and buried 3-0 and DBFC were in the cup final.


A gritty win and hardworking performance from DBFC.


DOD: Tough decision this week: Bacon for turning up to be ready 15 minutes before the end, with no boots! Danny Loup also a late arrival. But this week it goes to our former captain Tom Halder. After promising to be at the game, he then said he was going to wait for traffic to die down and then make his way to the ground. He missed the game and beers at pier bar after. Garden Gnome!


MOM: There were a few strong contenders this week: Matt Orr for his 2 good goals to put DBFC in the winning seat is a certain nomination. Danny Lye for stepping in at CB when Steve went off injured and was superb. However, this week it goes to Dave Rollinson. For being Captain for this game, putting in a class performance and for sticking up for his own players at HT —- something our former Captain and player would never have done.


Reported by JB and edit by Gazza