DBFC 4 – 3 Royale Dragons

Po Kong Village Road Park Pitch 2

22nd October 2016 at 5:30pm.


Scorers: Martin Rigby x 2, Jordon Brown and Tom Halder.


Squad: Ben, Dan K, Dan L, Dave Moore, Thierry, Dom, Jarrod, Jordon, Riggers, Reto, Syd, Simon, Yanou, Tom and Matt Z.

The Merseyside…the Tyne-Wear…the Old Firm…El Classico. On Saturday, 22nd October, the Discovery Bay derby joined these illustrious rivalries in football folklore. Tears were spilt, blood was shed and friendships were lost (some momentarily, others permanently). 

Po Kong Village had the honour of hosting this titanic clash. Both teams had had one eye firmly on this fixture since the Legal league schedule was announced, back in August, and now the time had come. Plenty was said leading up to this games from both sides, but now it was time to let the football do the talking. 

The DBFC boys knew many of the Royale Dragons players well and in fact the Dragons Captain and Judas impressionist Oli Rendall, and Christian “King Cobra” Romano were amongst the ex DBFC contingent in the opposing side. 

The warm up was conducted with typical efficacy, and Gazza brought the troops in to name the starting line-up: Yanou (GK) Riggers and Thierry (CB) Simon (LB) Syd (RB) Dom and Dan L (CM) Jordon (LM) Dan K (RM) Captain Tom (10) and Zol (CF). Subs: Dave M, Jarrod, Reto and Ben.

The first half started like a typical derby match; with emotions high and adrenaline pumping both sides struggled to settle into the game for the first 5 minutes. However, soon in Dan Lye and Dom began to assert their authority in midfield, providing a steel that the Dragons’ side couldn’t match. Even DBFC’s diminutive skipper managed to win a 50/50 tackle, which was cruelly judged to have been a foul. JB was tormenting the Dragon’s left back, swerving left and right and leaving the lad looking like a deer in the headlights and managed to force a corner. Matty Z drilled in the corner brilliantly and Riggers rose like a desperate Sea Lion escaping the jaws of a Great White Shark to power the ball home with his bonce. 1-0 up after 10 minutes for a great start. At this point Gazza switched Syd off (recovering from hamstring) for Ben (late arriving) to go on at his usual right back. It was a good fitness test for Syd to measure his state of recovery and declare that “I’ll be back” for next week’s game.  

To Dragon’s credit, they didn’t let their heads drop and began to grow into the game. Yanou had to be alert to a few Dragon’s through balls, but DBFC’s keeper dealt with them well.  DBFC continued to create chances and soon found themselves two goals to the good. After some neat play down the right between Tom, Dan and Ben, Tom took the ball infield and played a nice ball through the Dragon’s back-line for Jordan to run onto at pace and fire a low shot across the goalkeeper for a brilliant finish. It was another goal for the prolific Mr Brown, and a well-deserved 2 – 0 lead for DBFC after 20 minutes. The third goal followed quickly after, a long throw by Ben from the right into the Dragons’ box was flicked on by Zol. The dragons’ defence panicked and a poor clearance caused the ball to bounce up at the far post for riggers to run onto and head into the corner of the net. Riggers second of the game and second of the season.

30 minutes of the game had gone and DBFC were well in control and the only way Dragons were only going to get back in the game was with a gift from the DBFC defence, and a gift they got. Ben, who to be fair hadn’t put a foot wrong all half, got closed down in possession and in a moment of indecision stepped away from the ball thinking the DBFC midfield weere going to take it up. It didn’t happen and the Dragon’s left winger took the free ball forward. With Ben out of position Thierry came across to cover and the Dragon’s winger played it in to Judas (Oli) who took it outside Rigger’s and Simon (coming in to cover) to curl a low drive from the edge of the 18 yard box to just inside Yanou’s left post just out of reach from his full length dive. It was now 3-1 and game on.

Dragons were inspired by this goal and kept the pressure on the DBFC defence by pumping long balls forward at every opportunity, looking to get another goal before half time. The DBFC defence held firm and when a clearance from the DBFC back was chased down rather uncharacteristically by Tom, the Dragons’ keeper charitably passed the ball straight to Tom’s feet. Tom rolled the ball into the empty net from 20 yards to put DBFC firmly back in charge at 4-1. DBFC were cruising again, winding down the clock for half-time, when at a minute to go there was a lapse of concentration in the DBFC defence and a slack pass was intercepted by the Dragons’ winger to burst through the back line onto goal. The dragons’ winger was Yanou’s brother who was one on one with the DBFC keeper to score and give Dragons hope with a half-time score-line of 4-2. 

Half time talk pointed out how much better we were than the Dragons team and that our habit of taking our foot off the pedal when we are in control again has caught us. We need to convert some of the many chances. Dragons had two chances only and scored two goals. Concentration and focus needed to be stepped back up and discipline to keep shape and structure. Skipper Tom came off to recover from indigestion caused by a pre-match meal of Chocolate Buttons and a bottle of Cola. He was replaced by Dave M.

The second half started well for DBFC, with several good chances being created. Jordon could have added to his tally and Dom had a couple of good openings. Dan L continued to boss the midfield and the game only looked like finishing with a healthier win for DB. However, the game was to change when the previously crippled Dragons’ manager Jamie Bone bought himself on for a risky cameo. The risk was to pay off for Dragons when Jamie slipped in their left winger to finish for his second goal of the game and make it 4-3 with 15 minutes left to play. DBFC rallied brilliantly after this set back, and through a backbone of Dom, Dan L and Riggers, took the sting out of the game for the final 15 minutes. In truth, Dragons never really threatened again, and it was DBFC that looked the more likely to finish the scoring. JB was guilty of some wasteful finishing, and the linesman was guilty of sheer incompetence. Jarrod came on for the last 5 minutes for an injured Dan L. With Tom and Matty Z skilfully wasting the last 5 minutes bopping the ball around the corner flag, DBFC managed to seal a well deserved if not slightly uncomfortable victory. 

MOM – Some stand out performances today. Dan K was definitely the player of the first half, combining superbly with Ben and Tom and showing some delightful touches in and around the box.  Riggers scored two good goals and was a rock once again in defence. However, Dan L gets the shout this week. In a game he was well up for, he kept his cool and bossed the midfield battle alongside Dom. He also put in a very strong performance in the pier bar. A commendable Saturday from one of DB’s new recruits. 

DOD – Absolutely no need to mention anyone else this week. Never in the history of mankind has one man been so hopelessly stuck under the thumb. To miss any game because the missus tightens the leash is bad enough, but to miss the biggest game of the season against the local rivals is inexcusable. Even his old man had no excuses left for him. David Rollinson, monumental Dick of the Day.

Report by Tom and edit by Gaz