The story of a smash  & grab victory.

With an excellent side announced the managers selection started to unravel as Stu couldn’t make it, while Travis injured himself 24 hours before and Syd cancelled last minute due to a family illness. Several unfruitful attempts at bringing in a GK meant that Captain Oli Rendall was pushed off the plank and into goal.

The team on the day:

Ollie (GK)











Andy (on at half time)

The match started cautiously DBFC giving the ball away a few times, but Jordan raced through putting his one on one narrowly wide. Jonny then smashed the crossbar and Matt put the rebound header over before Robert Scott forced a good save from a free-kick. From 15 minutes onwards USRC stepped up their game passing the ball well, assisted by good movement causing us all sorts of problems. In the lead up to half time they must have hit the bar twice and the post at least twice while scuffing several decent chances. However, Will’s hard work in midfield payed off as he passed the ball to Jonny, who did well to release Jordan cutting in from the left, and the resulting cross was tucked in as an OG by the USRC defender. A welcome half time break. 1-0

Andy came on for his debut at center half as DBFC started the half better but were let down by bad decision making. Several shots from distance and misplaced passes brought on the USRC onslaught helped by several substitutions. Ollie Rendall and the backline did well to handle the pressure but sloppy marking from a corner (that never was) was poked home at the near post 1-1.

DBFC improved and pressed again as USRC continued to dominate possession. Scotty H won a strong challenge in midfield laying it to Scotty R to beat his man and finish emphatically. The game was again stretched, USRC creating the bulk of the chances but DBFC closed down well everyone working hard, unfortunately a cross from the left went right across the goalmouth to be tapped home. 2-2.

The game continued as Matt went through but his cross was cut out by a last ditch challenge on Scotty H, and Scotty R shot tamely with time inside the box. With 5 minutes to go it was end to end when Scotty R slid Matt in who crossed for the free Jordan only to be denied by a USRC hand – Penalty – Matt stepped up striking it home emphatically. DBFC then defended resolutely for the final few minutes with a deserved victory (based on effort not chances).

A big well done to the boys today, Ollie for filling in well in goal, Andy and all the defence for the countless challenges and blocks, Will and the rest for what was a lot of hard yards.

A big thanks to Morse who came down in the second half to support.