DBFC Vets 1 – 3 Spartans’ Masters

5th December 2018 at HK International School with 20:30 KO

Squad: Toni (GK), Matija, Thierry, Morse, Steve R, Pascal (Captain), Rudi, Scotty, Momo, Ade, Fouad, Steve W and Gazza

Scorer: Fouad

On paper DBFC looked a strong squad but straight from kick-off decided not to play football and mostly kicking the ball long. Little possession and fight and shape was missing with many players chasing the ball. Play wasn’t fast enough or simple enough from the back to get passing football going. Spartans, on the other hand, seemed much more up for the game and although their passing football was not much better than DBFC they were quicker closing down and a little more physical. In saying this, it was DBFC that were the closest to scoring first with two great chances, one seemed to be difficult to miss but it was by hitting the post. However, it was Spartans that scored first when Matija tried unsuccessfully for the 10th time to thread a pass down the middle of the park to be intercepted by the Spartans midfield, only this time the ball was played right back to the Spartans’ attacker who skipped past Matija mistimed tackle to run on goal. Matija give chase and Tony came out, Thierry left marking the centre forward to try and intercept, but the ball rebounded off Toni and the forward to land on the penalty spot for the Spartan’s CF to knock into an empty net. This was really a comical turn of events. Spartans smelt blood at this point, especially as DBFC seemed to be arguing among themselves and cursing the referees for bad decisions that this standard of referee always make. We gave away a free kick and while DBFC were yelling for players to stand out further, the free kick was taken and obviously concentration was on pushing out instead of going with the runners and the Spartans big defender breezed in to jump in front of out-coming Toni for a free header into the DBFC net.

Senior DBFC members Gazza and Steve W had to suffer watching the disappointing DBFC performance in the first half and came on to settle the defence, which is what happened until Morse got himself a second yellow card for a studs up challenge (contact with the ball not the man) to add to his first half yellow for mouthing off at the line referee and being sent off. DBFC down to ten men and with the back three containing 120 years between Steve W and Gazza, it was going to be a tall order to stop Spartans. Eventually Spartans 3rd goal came when play on the right made enough room between Matija and Gazza to get a cross in. Toni saw this and came off his line to intercept but it came off his fingers and dropped at the feet of the Spartans’ CF for another open goal.

DBFC managed to prevent another goal for the last 20 minutes and Fouad got DBFC a consolation goal 5 minutes from time from an individual effort, coming in from the left past 2 Spartans defenders to smash the Ball into the top corner. It was a great goal but too little too late. A disappointing performance and result from DBFC Vets.