USRC Vitesse 2 DBFC Vets 9

13th May 2016 – 19:30 kick-off —- Kings Park, Jordon

Squad:  Bojan, Gazza, Mike C, Mike W, Pete H, Oisin, Kieran Chan, Morse, Thierry, Martin, Baz

Scorers:  Oisin 4, Martin 2, Gazza 2 and Kieran C.

A DBFC Vets team was cobbled together for this Friday night fixture against USRC Vitesse. With players away, resting for a Legal League semi-final or training for the HK Sevens tournament, only 9 of our regular squad were able to make the game. Guest appearances from Mike Weir and Pete Hymns brought the numbers to a bare eleven. Bojan kindly volunteered to go in goal in the absence of a regular goalkeeper.

The game kicked-off with DBFC fielding only 10 players, Latecomer Morse scrambling to get his shorts over his fat arse as DB went straight down the pitch and after some nice interplay between Martin and Thierry, Martin put the ball in the back of the USRC net without them touching the ball. It was all DB with Thierry and Martin controlling the game in midfield and Kieran C on the right flank causing problems.  Pete and Oisin, spearheading the attack, were a nightmare for the USRC defence to handle and goals looked likely every time the ball went forward. Before long, it was 2-0 with Kieran claiming the second goal. In defence Mike Weir, Baz and Gazza were rarely troubled and Morse playing in the anchor midfield role in front of the back 3 was able to push forward more than normal.  With 25 minutes gone, it was 3-0 to DB with Oisin notching and a rout looked on the cards. Morse though, began to feel sorry for USRC, so gave the ball to their striker on the edge of the DB box and he slotted it calmly past Bojan for a 3-1 half-time score-line.

USRC changed things around at the interval, putting on their ageing Brazilian star, Eder, but he didn’t make a difference (Thierry had him in his pocket) and DB pressed even harder looking for a  4th goal, which eventually came from an unlikely source.  Gazza suffered a nosebleed in the rarity of an advance into the USRC penalty area, after bursting through the USRC back-line to get to a one-two he played with Thierry, to round their goalkeeper and put the ball in the back of the empty net.  Gazza raced away to celebrate his goal and the rest of the team  stood  in wonder as we hadn’t seen him run as fast in the 20 years; he clearly was ecstatic with his first goal since 1998. Another goal from Oisin made it 5-1 with a calm finish and who would believe it? Gazza got the goal to put DBFC 6 – 1 up.  Gazza, who had been pissed-off at Mike Collier’s two previous feeble attempts at corners, strutted over ‘Gareth Bale’ like to show his younger teammate how it was done. The corner, fired arrow-like into the 6-yard box, ricocheted off a USRC defender and into the goal. Most people agreed it was an OG, but not our Gazza, and who can blame him, he had only scored one goal in 900 previous appearances and no one was going to take that goal away from him, as he was clearly delighted at doubling his career goal tally in one game.

USRC were now smarting and made another substitution, adding another star Andy Mitchell, who has a nose for goals (a very big nose), to their attack.  Despite the added attacking threat it was DBFC that got the next goal with another nice finish from Oisin to give DBFC a 7 – 1 lead. USRC continued attacking looking for consolation goals in a match clearly out of their reach. USRC’s second and final goal eventually came from a long-range speculative effort from Eder to make it DBFC 7 – 2 USRC. This spurred the DBFC to push forward and with further late goals from Martin and Oisin, the final score was 9-2 to DBFC.

Gazza, Baz, Thierry, Pete Hymns and Mike Collier accepted USRC’s kind invite for drinks at their club and the lads celebrated the victory (and Mike Collier’s 100th birthday) with a few beers and curry before heading home. A good night had by all.

Reporter: Mike Collier (edits Gazza)